Saturday, January 8, 2011

High on MSG

I survived my first week of full-fledged Winter Term. It was a shock to see the influx of all the students on Monday. By afternoon today, I was exhausted. Thank goodness for the weekend!

My friend Anne and I went out to get some dinner. Some coworkers of mine had recommended a local restaurant called Toshi's Ramen. Reviews of it online suggest that it is the best ramen place outside of Japan. Probably improbable! It was a dinky little place that smelt wonderfully like food from the Far East, and was full of people out on Friday night. All they had on the menu was house-made ramen noodles in a choice of three different kinds of broth, with veggies or meat and some condiments. I picked the shoyu sauce bowl with garlic. I meant to tell them to use MSG-free broth in mine, but forgot. As a result, I have an MSG-induced headache. I feel slightly hungover. The food was excellent, the company was wonderful.

Evening out = Successful.
Plans to exercise = Unsuccessful.

Breakfast
2 Egg-white Omelette w. Crimini, Cilantro and Cheddar, Toast, Pear
I added a smidgen too much salt, and ended up not eating the eggs.

Meeting-Monotony Relievers
Unsweetened Tea, Glazed Lemon Cake

Lunch
Split Pea Soup, Jalapeno Cornbread, unphotographed slice of Lemon Cake

Afternoon Snacks
The last of the hummus, two carrots

100 Calorie Trail Mix

Pre-Dinner Snacks
Small slice Banana Bread

Belgian Truffle - the flavor was so concentrated, I could not tell if it was amaretto or coconut.

Dinner
Ramen in Shoyu Broth w. Garlic (WW Points = several million)

I ended up consuming most of the ramen, and some of the broth.

Orange

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the hell is MSG ??? Ugh... MSG Hangover??? What is all this??

    The breakfast presentation is beautiful. How do you have the patience to make such a beautiful plate?

    Ramen in Shoyu Broth w. Garlic: Looks good, but nothing beats the soup you make!

    Well, daddy and I bought 4 plates (considering that daddy when to get them, the 2 plates of order mysteriously became 4 plates) of Malabar Egg Curry. We ended up eating twice the amount of food we normally eat and ended up with a huge ... I mean a massive heartache and burning sensation in our tummys. I picked out 38 pieces of red and green chilly from 2 plates of that Egg Curry!

    The next day Daddy decided to get a nice Malabar Meat Masala so I don't end up complaining that the food is uber tasty but very spicy (I should abbreviate it to MMM, to match your MSG thing, so you don't understand anything)! Even though special orders were given to not add any chilly the food was spicy and we ended up eating 2 tums tablet each again!

    That is all the exciting stuff that happened out here !

    NS

    ReplyDelete
  3. MSG = monosodium glutamate. It's a synthetic flavor-enhancer and makes you get headaches when consumed in large quantities. You call it ajinomoto. :-)

    Sounds like you and daddy are having a fun time. I wish I was there too. Only you'd probably have to get a Malabar Veggie Masala for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliment on the picture. It really takes no patience - I just dump it all on the plate, and it gives the impression of being carelessly elegant. And anyway, no matter what I put on mummy's plates, it looks good.

    ReplyDelete