Monday, January 10, 2011

Diets Don’t Work. WeightWatchers Doesn’t Either!

I shouldn’t be so harsh. But the WW slogan – “Diets don’t work. WeightWatchers does.” is not true for me. I suppose the WW “lifestyle” , like any other diet plan works for those who follow it and buy into the philosophy of it. For those with bad WW attitudes (like me), it doesn’t.

I blogged yesterday about how this was the first week since I joined my insurance-sponsored WW, that I had not counted points at all. I chose instead to eat whatever I wanted to. Since I could eat whatever I wanted to, I ended up not binging when feeling deprived. And since I did not spend hours calculating points values for recipes, counting points and obsessing about how many points I had left and what I could consume that would be within my daily allowance, I had more time to make what I wanted to eat and enjoyed eating it. Unlike other WW weeks, food was not constantly on my mind. Unsurprisingly, I was a bit apprehensive when I went to the weigh-in today. Astoundingly however, it turns out that I lost 3lbs. That’s the biggest loss a week I have had since I began the WW program (not that I am on the WW program really). And how did I get there? By eating Belgian truffles all week long. And loads of cheese. And French toast, cornbread, mutter paneer, pakoras, banana bread, noodles and pastry savories. Sounds fantastic to me!

Of course, the 3lb loss might have been because of many other reasons. I’ll wait a few more weeks before I have a larger dataset to make a more substantive argument, but somehow, I think not. Now, this eating-whatever-I-want-to-in-moderation business – that can be called a “lifestyle change”. To each his own, but I don’t think counting numbers all day long qualifies as a particularly alluring or sustainable change in lifestyle. WW-hardliners, eat your heart out!

Breakfast
Oats w. Pear, Pecans, Honey; Tea

Snack
Pepperjack Cheese, Unphotographed slice Banana-Pecan Bread

Lunch
Veggie Burrito. I ate half of this.


Artesian water from Norway. At first I chuckled because I thought that was a spelling variation of "artisan", and there can be no such thing as "artisan water". But it turns out that this is water from an artesian well in Norway. The idea of shipping groundwater from Norway to the US is ridiculous, and the toll it takes environmentally is monumentally ridiculous. However, it comes packaged in a pretty 800ml glass bottle that's just perfect for water consumption on the go. I'm hoping that using a BPA-free container will limit health risks, as well as be good for the planet in the long term.

Tea
Tea, Samosas w. Tomato-Chilli Sauce

Dinner
The rest of the Veggie Burrito, Mild Sauce, 1/4th Avocado
Peanut Tofu/Veg Stir-fry. This is the tastiest stir-fry I make. All I do is stir-fry a bunch of vegetables and tofu in a tablespoon of oil and add 2-3 tbsp of peanut vinaigrette at the end. I use TJ's spicy version. Yum!!! (makes 4 servings)

Cottage Cheese, Bosc Pear

2 comments:

  1. I feel like eating that Breakfast!!!!!

    You need to bring in some of those Greek salads, pita bread pizzas and other dips for your carrots..... and of course that really yummy salad that one of my friends finished in 3mins :)

    Lost 3lbs...... sounds SUPER !!! I gained 3lbs in 2 days and was pissed with myself.. turns out that I am back to the usual weight I was at. Why is nature playing tricks with me?

    well.. can't wait to see the next log!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee. Thebreakfast was actually quite good. I'll make those also. Since I usually do most of my cooking on the weekends and just make things that vary/modify them on weekdays, each week will look somewhat monotonous.

    Nature is not playing tricks you goose - remember what I always tell you - your weight is not a particular number, but a fluctuating range of +/- 5lbs depending on the day, TOM, TOD etc. Don't weigh yourself each day - try and do it once a week at a pre-set time. :-X

    ReplyDelete