Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Folk Dancing with Two Left Feet

I have never been a coordinated person. I walk into things, bump into people and am a bit bumbling in real life. When it comes to actually moving my limbs in some form of rhythm, I am what any sane person would consider to be "abnormal". I avoid dances like the scourge because I usually feel intensely embarrassed. So, a few weeks ago when my friend Anne invited me to go contra-dancing, I very very very reluctantly agreed.

It turned out to be great fun. Firstly because I was not the only bumbling one there. And secondly because this dancing involved a set of pre-assigned steps that were to be repeated over and over and over again. I could do that. Sort of... Anyway, I had a lot of fun and it was probably the best workout I have had in years.

So, when Anne invited me to a Folk Dance class, I agreed to sign up. Today was my first class. It was sort of like contra-dancing in that there are repetitive actions. The difference is that rather than move both arms and legs, it involves moving mostly the legs - a challenge for me. I did it - it was not pretty, but I managed to get through the class. I promptly forgot everything they taught on the way home, but it was fun. I think I'll return next week. This was not really exercise at all - I barely got my breath sped up unlike contra dancing where I was out of breath after the first 10 minutes. But it was an hour more of movement than I would have got had I stayed home.

And thus, I did the very first bit of exercise this year. I am going contra-dancing on Saturday. So, all I need is one more day of exercise and I will have met my 3x/week exercise goal for this week. :-)

Breakfast
Sprouted Wheat Toast w. Strawberry Preserves
Cottage Cheese, Pear, Banana

Snacks
Amaretto Cappuccino - a stray packet at the office. It did not taste particularly good, but I wanted something hot to drink (and hold) at an 8am meeting.

Unsweetened Spice Chai. It tastes less like any kind of spice and more like licorice.
I will not be buying this brand (Stash) again.

Lunch
Yummy Cabbage Noodles my friend made for NYE. I will be recreating this.
Jalapeno Cornbread, Apple

Snack
Chocolate-coated Coffee Beans, Peanut Brittle

Dinner
After the Folk-Dancing, I came home to a bowl of Rice, Yogurt Gravy, and Stir-fried Ivy Gourd
Colby Jack Cheese. (I did not eat the Orange)

I have been wanting to try Wholly Guacamole for ages!

Guac and Triscuits. This was good, but I like my homemade version best!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had fun dancing !!!! And I quite vehemently disagree that you are a even remotely bumbling!!! In fact i think you are fantastic!

    As usual... love the food section... :)
    Can't wait to see what you are cooking for tomorrow...

    Kisses !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're always more unrealistically confident about my abilities than I can every hope to be.

    I'm making a banana-pecan bread tonight. I've been craving cake with tea in the afternoons. Not that I have been having much afternoon tea since school began on Monday. Still...

    ReplyDelete