Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Moment of Control

One of the things that I took away with me from the book I "read" last weekend (The End of Overeating) is that no matter how out of control we feel when yielding to compulsive behaviors, there is always a moment where we have control and can choose to act in a way that we know is good for us. I have resolved to using this bit of wisdom to help me make better decisions.

Take this morning for instance. I had not intended to attend boot-camp today. But when my square dance class was cancelled, I seized the moment and set my alarm to ring at 4am. When the alarm rang, I woke up, was sore, and did not want to get dressed. I waited for "the moment" and got out of bed. Each decision - from brushing my teeth, to getting out of my apartment after I had dressed, to not immediately driving back home once I actually made it to the boot-camp class, was made in those discrete moments of clarity.

I tried using the moments of clarity to make good decisions about food. It did not work as well. I must try harder.

Breakfast
I need to go grocery shopping. Breakfast was a blend of odds and ends:
Pear; Cottage Cheese w. Honey on a Rice Cake; Sesame Ryvita w. Peas Curry
(I almost never eat curry for breakfast. But this was about all I had at home)

Snack
Jasmine Tea, Half a Scone

Lunch
Veggie/Rice Stew; the rest of the scone

Snack
Unphotographed Apple

Dinner
Kimchi Soup over Quinoa; Edamame
I also ate some Quinoa w. Maple Syrup for dessert

No comments:

Post a Comment