Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February - Sweet and Small

Freezing
Cold winds,
Biting chills, and
White snow fluffed hills
Valentine’s day, oh how gay!
President’s day is coming our way.
February, sweet and small, greatest month of all.

-------------------------------------------------- Eric Lies, 28 word poem for February

I am not of the opinion that February is the greatest month of all. It's too cold and too short. But my sister's birthday is in February, and that is one of the happiest days for me. Valentine's day is exciting also. And I resolve to make this February more fun than the January just past. This is what I resolve to do:

1. Eat Well: In addition to eating mindfully and in moderation, which is a year-long goal for me, I hope this month to eat better. One very specific thing I plan on doing is to eat either a fruit or vegetable with every meal (excluding snacks). I am vegetarian, so this sounds easy. In reality however, it is all too easy to eat entire meals that are processed beyond recognition and not munch on a fruit/vegetable. I will purchase loads of fruit.

2. Exercise more: I will stick with the 3x/month goal. Last month, I was not able to do this each week. I will try harder this month. I had planned on starting the boot camp class next month, but I think I might sign up for it this month anyway. I have not decided yet. But in any case, I will add on a new exercise class/regimen.

3. Pamper myself more: In my January wrap-up I talked about how I recognized that I was not really sure what I was doing for self-care. I have decided to set specific goals: (a) Spend night/weekend time w. friends at least 3x this month (this is harder than it sounds because I am new here and don't really have many friends yet), (b) Take a mid-month vacation and travel to Portland for the weekend, (c) Purchase a book/DVD that I want to (I usually get books and DVDs from the library, but owning something I like has an entirely different feel to it), (d) Give myself a pretty accessory.

4. Read a Food/Exercise/Wellness Book: I love reading. While I rarely read non-fiction, I find that the genre of non-fiction that has to do with healthiness and the body is one that I enjoy reading. I will read one book from this genre this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment