Monday, February 7, 2011

Biases and Hate

I was invited to a pre-screening of the documentary "The Anatomy of Hate" which is coming to our campus next week. It was a very powerful documentary - lots of very disturbing images and messages. It is amazing how much hatred people can have for each other. One of the theories of Carl Jung that the documentary talks about is that we human beings project our fears about ourselves onto others and turn them into our tangible "enemies" whom we can feel justified in hating and persecuting as a means of self-redemption.

Although not in the documentary, such bias and hatred is almost omnipresent in our society today towards people with excess body fat. I have heard all sorts of unforgiving and awful things said about people who are "fat". Research shows that bias against body-size is one of the hardest biases to alter. I once read a Craigslist rant that said: "BBW is not a 'type' it is a 'choice'. BBWs are not beautiful, they are 'fatties'". What an awful thing to say!

If making the choice to slim down to a size zero was that easy, no one in the world would be carrying around the pounds that they could otherwise so "easily" shed. This assumption does not take into account genetics, family history, medical history, emotional barriers, and access to nutritious food. It saddens me. Many people who say this are those who have lost lots of weight themselves. Is compassion for one's demons that unwarranted? I hope not!

Breakfast
WW English Muffin w. SF Apricot Preserves
Cottage Cheese, Bosc Pear

Lunch
Catered Box Lunch at the Documentary Pre-Screening
I ate a half-sandwich, half the chips, and the PB Cookie.

Dinner
I had a voucher for a free pizza, so skipped cooking.
Jalapeno and Black Olive Pizza

Exercise
I went to my 1.5 hr square dance class
I called the Bootcamp people will go for an informational session on Wed.

Also, I skipped WW weigh-in today because I had to go to another meeting. I will probably go for a late weigh-in sometime later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment