Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Inertia and Momentum

As a child I learnt the concepts of inertia and momentum. They always remained concepts of physics in my mind until I read something very recently which helped me apply them in a more abstract way to the idea of me exercising.

Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to a change in its state of motion or rest. That quite accurately characterizes what my attitude to exercise used to be. I loved the idea of exercise, but I could not imagine (and hated) the idea of me exercising. I made excuses - my injured knee, lack of time, lack of flexibility, how deep in my psyche my fear and denial was entrenched, and a variety of other reasons. I remember people saying that if you only just started, it would get easier, how fifteen minutes a day was not much and could easily be accomplished, and so on... I used to smirk at this - that I said, was for them, not me! I could not do it. Did they not see that?

And then I started. Somewhere around mid-December I began what I never imagined I could do. Momentum is the force gained by movement in a certain direction (this is not the physical definition of it). I was inert. And then I made a small movement prompted by something. I think it might have been the idea of meeting new people in a new town - I forced myself to go to a dance that a friend had invited me to. I hate dancing, but I had a wonderful time. And then I returned. And then I joined a dance class. And then I joined another. And now I am thinking of joining an exercise class. The strength of my momentum for exercise is heightening. I hope I keep building momentum and never return to my inert state.

All that being said, I did not exercise today. But I did eat:

Breakfast
Bosc Pear

Whole Wheat English Muffin w. Apricot Preserves, Black Tea

Lunch
Whole Wheat Flatbread, Spinach, Baked Falafel; Cheetos; Apple

Snack
Bite-sized Granola Bar

Tea
I rarely come home in time for tea these days: Tea, Rusk

Rosemary Triscuits, Habanero Cheddar

Dinner
Vegetable Gyoza, Spicy Peanut Vinaigrette; Edamame
I did not eat the orange

No comments:

Post a Comment