Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Eugene Saturday Market

Two days after I moved to Eugene, my sister and I were driving around, and chanced upon a gigantic gathering of people. We parked our car, got out and asked someone what was going on. He looked at us as though shocked that ignoramuses like us had been let out of whatever institution we must have hitherto been locked up in.

"It's the Saturday Market", he said.

That was my introduction to the oldest weekly open-air market in the U.S. (see wiki page). I went a few times last year until it closed for the winter, and then I regretted not going more often.

It opened up for the year again today - the first Saturday in April. It was cold and wet, but I went, and am happy I did. I wish I had taken more pictures, but I did not. I bought hazelnuts and a large batch of Spring greens that you'll see in my salad pics all week.

My favorite part of the Saturday market, however is the food:

Leek and Onion Pasty at Cousin Jack's Pasties

Some kind of cheese and veggie thingy at a Mexican food stall. Tasty!

And local hazelnuts - wonderful to snack on!

Over the rest of the day, I also ate:

Broccoli-Potato Soup w. Blue Cheese and Sourdough Bread

Champagne - really fitting because I'd love to be in France right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment