Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ave Avril

And Spring arose on the garden fair,
Like the Spirit of Love felt everywhere;
And each flower and herb on Earth's dark breast
Rose from the dreams of its wintry rest.

-------------------------------------------------------------Shelley



Last month, it was almost as though I took the month off from doing much that was worthwhile and disregarded the resolutions that I had made. I resolve to make this month better. In the last two days, I have already seen a return to old eating and exercise habits, and resolve to do them over.

1. Eat Healthily: I have come to the realization that for a very long time yet, I will have to make a concerted effort to eat the way I think I ought to. I will never be one who looks forward to eating small quantities of healthy things. But in order to lose weight, and keep diabetes and joint problems at bay, I need to. I will make an extra effort to eat well this month. I resolve to make at least one meal a day either a salad or a soup. I will also limit my snacking.

2. Exercise: What I said about needing effort to do what I think I ought to be doing is all the more true for exercise. I hate exercising, and every time I set out to do it, I have to battle the inner loafer in me. This is going to be a very busy month for me work-wise. I will start the folk dance class again, and will walk more. I will reserve more strenuous exercise for later.

3. Vocabulary: When I first came to the US, people remarked on the versatility of my vocabulary. Over the last decade, I have lost a great deal of the fluidity I used to possess when talking. I sound mundane and banal now. I hope this month to continue to put into use words I know that have gone into premature retirement.

4. Travel: I have larger trips scheduled in May and June. For this month, I restrict myself to: (a) A day-trip to Portland, and (b) A weekend trip to the Oregon Coast.

5. Busy-stuff: I have been postponing some tasks, and propose to do them this month for sure: (a) Help my sister with her business school applications, (b) Apply for licensure, (c) Finish what I need to do to apply for my belated graduation walk in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment