Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cherry Picking

When I moved to Oregon, one of the things I was told repeatedly was to go and pick my own fruit at any one of the plethora of farms located around Eugene. I had also heard that the Oregon cherries are far more delicious than the California ones that are sold in Supermarkets in the Midwest. Since I love cherries, I decided I was going to go and pluck them. One of the farms that had been highly recommended, started it's cherry plucking season on Saturday.

I went yesterday - there were perhaps five others on the entire farm. I picked lovely, delicious Lambert cherries. We were allowed to eat as we picked, and I took ample advantage of this allowance. I ate about a pound of the cherries, sampling each tree to find the sweetest yield. Since they were so sweet, I almost made myself sick. I am much more of a savory food person, and my sweet-tooth is somewhat underdeveloped. When I had my bucket half-full, I started to yearn for something salty. But, I stuck it through, and picked the entire bucket - 12 lbs of cherries. It cost me only $15.47. And I got loads of exercise. Well, that is an exaggeration, maybe. But I did get to walk a lot, and jump to reach boughs that were higher up, and had to raise my arms and pull at branches and so on. Anyway, it was too enjoyable to actually be called "exercise".

Breakfast
Toast w. Apricot Jam, Sour Cherries from my friend's yard, Iced Tea
I am looking for a new store-bought jam. Any recommendations? I hate this Apricot Jam. A different fruit, perhaps?

Lunch
A pound of cherries while plucking these

A naan and a half; Baingan Bharta

Dinner
Mushroom and Olive Pizza, Garlic Sauce
After this, I had some more pizza, I am ashamed to say. However - that is the point of this blog - to be honest about what I eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment